Sunday, September 2, 2012

Dub- Please Stop

It all started with a question: what is dubstep? Cut to 20 minutes and a wikipedia page later and me finding out that it's a much more complicated question than I thought. Dubstep was not the dance movement I assumed it was (I make a lot of assumptions that turn out to be wrong, ask my sister), nor did it originate in America (which is one of the assumptions I make about trendy stuff; I love America, sorry the rest of the world). Dubstep is in fact a music genre. But not just a regular genre, there's like a bah-jillion different kinds and sub-genres that I will not get into because: Wikipedia. And as many versions of it as there are, there are just as many people who have strong opinions on what the "real" thing is.

All this seems silly to me. I mean, who is spending the time cataloguing it? And is anyone's ear actually trained enough to tell the difference? No matter how long you argue with me there is no way I'll be convinced that just by listening you can, with a high percentage of accuracy, place exactly where the version you're hearing is from. On another note, who cares? Music is music, can't we just say we like what we hear without having to categorize it? I'm sick of justifying what I listen to based on the box someone else put it in. If it sounds good to me, I'm going to like it, and probably give someone money for it. The End.

2 comments:

Colton said...

My only argument to this whole thing is that you are even including dub-step in the genre of music at all. It's more like...rhythmic noise pollution.

With that in mind, you or any other deranged people are completely free to like it.

Elspeth said...

Let me clarify. I don't listen to dubstep very often. Just some dubstep influenced songs. It gets old, very quickly. I was just curious about it. And now I regret that.