Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Store Happenings

I love interacting with complete strangers, there's no pressure on the brief encounter (unless, of course, they make you nervous with their attractiveness). Anyway, I thought I'd share some of my favorite encounters with people I've only ever seen once in my life:

While I was working at Mervyns (years ago) this jewish couple came into the store (I think they were buying some pants for the husband), but as they were purchasing whatever it was they were purchasing the husband reads my nametag and says, "that's not a real name..."
to which I replied, "yeah it is."
So he asked "how do you say it?"
"Elspeth"
Then he turns to his wife and says with a glint (or apple if you prefer) in his eye, "our next daughter..."
But the funny part is when his wife replied, "tell her how old I am and how we're not going to have any more children."

That seemed the end but as they were walking out I heard him say, "she said it was a real name..."
"David!"
"she said it was a real name..."

Next, just recently, when I went to Barnes and Noble (you probably remember the book buying frenzy) I was just browsing through the store when I heard one of the clerks say, "Get me off this crazy little thing..."
To which I replied, "...called love."
He then chuckled and said, "I love that."
And while he was walking away he said, "It's like an orange on a toothpick!"
If you haven't seen So I Married an Axe Murderer then you won't get this reference, but I was really happy that I decided to complete that sentence.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

hahaha I remember you telling me the first story years ago! haha I love that one! And I have never seen that movie but I'm glad that the barnes and noble guy got it! But wait...what are you doing at Barnes and Noble again?!?!?!?!?!

Meg said...

Oh I love that some random guy in Barnes and Noble knows So I Married an Axe Murderer. That movie is so amazing and I just love it!

Miss Piton said...

Oh the joys of being intellectual. I like being the person that shops in Barnes and Noble, although it has been far too long since I've had a real purpose of being in there. I get giddy every year I get to buy a planner though...

-only for money.

Colton said...

That first story is fantastic. Haha...I'm still laughing a little bit.

You know what else is funny? I go into Barnes and Noble all the time! I went there last weekend, in fact. But I didn't buy anything. I never do. I'm not sure why I go so often. I don't read anything, either. I just peruse the books, look at a few price tags, and then leave. But I know I'll be back.

Holly said...

Haha Bethany she went with me cause I have a gift card! Elspeth they were dissing your name!