Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Enchantment

I was just at Barnes & Noble (an inferior book store, I know) with Hollila and could not help buying some books even though I have like 10 that I need to read right now. I bought a compilation of 7 Jane Austen books, and Peter Pan because they had beautiful covers (and because I wanted to own them):


I probably didn't need to buy these books right now, but who knows how long they'll be there (I really love those covers). I feel like books are a good thing to spend money on though. Movies are great, but there is nothing like holding a book in your hand and reading it. Holly said it best: "I feel bad when I buy movies, but books are just special." I'm reminded of a part in The Great Gatsby when Gatsby is having a party and some drunk (I think they call him Owl-eyes) wanders into his library and is astounded by the fact that "the books are real!" That phrase has stuck with me ever since I read that story in high school, because I think it meant that Gatsby's life wasn't all a front. I want to have a library like that some day where I can look at all the real books I've read and share them with my kids.

It's interesting to be working with children who are barely learning how to read. I mean, thinking about it now, it is kind of a big responsibility. Depending on how well I teach them, it could shape their entire future. Books have meant the world to me, and continue to mean the world to me, and I hope that I can help these kids so that their future can be fashioned by the books they read.

4 comments:

Rachel and Jacob said...

I hope my kids get the Anderson's love of reading! I'll just let their aunt Elspeth tell them how special books are!

Sondra said...

I hope you have a house with a room that adequately stores/displays all your books. Whenever I dust/reorganize my bookshelves it's like visiting old friends. I hope you'll be glad to inherit my old friends.

Holly said...

Ah I love love love books! You fully understand the wonderment of reading which is why I love going to the bookstore with you!It was hilarious when you came to find me and you had like 20 books in your arms when the day before you told me not to let you buy any more books haha! By the way I finished Of Mice and Men and I'm traumatized! Not a very happy ending at all.

Colton said...

boks r good i love to reed

I disagree about the cover of that Peter Pan book, though. It sort of creeps me out.