Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Substitute Teacher

The teacher, Mrs. Stewart, who's classroom I'm an aid for was out sick today (as well as Monday) and I had to aid for a sub. (as you can probably guess from the title). On Monday this meant that the class was awful and it was a day that I just had to get through. But today this substitute was different. She must have decided early in her career that she wanted to be a communist because she was definitely in control of that classroom. She had each kid write their name on a paper and if they did something good then we would put a star on that paper. This would actually be a good idea (some positive reinforcement) but the way she did it seemed to be manipulative and tyrannical. I did not like being in her class today, which is weird, because I love my work. Not to leave out the fact that this woman looked and sounded like Number 1 from Monsters, Inc., you know the secretary lady who was always wanting Mike to turn in his paperwork? If anyone thought she would be cool to hang out with, you were wrong. I am so glad that I was put in Mrs. Stewart's room cause she is an excellent teacher without being too over-bearing. The whole day just felt like this sub. was trying to prove her good teacher-ness to me and her superiority to the kids, a few of them were getting very upset and it just made me want to comfort them, but I couldn't because that lady scared me too.

4 comments:

Colton said...

Haaahaaahaaaaw. That is what I imagine with the scary secretary from Monsters, Inc.

We had this psychotic drill sergeant substitute teacher when I was in Junior High named Mr. Archer that everyone hated. The End.

AshleeB said...

Hi im really glad you blogged! omg. I hate devilish teachers who think they can control all the kids. Annoying. Haha I loved that you compared her to the mean secretary in monsters inc!

Sondra said...

Interesting perspective on substitute teachers. I've never thought what it would be like to be the aid working under a sub who feels her main job is just to control the class until the teacher (who probably has more love and understanding for her students) gets back.

Miss Piton said...

I once had a sub tell me to put my lip gloss away, "this isn't a powder room"...I told her it was actually called chapstick. Then later I laughed out loud (please...jr high HEALTH science..) and she literally said, "This is a classroom, not a place for laughter"

She was such a hag. Turns out she was my "friend-ish" Sammy's mom.